Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Top News :Enhance Romance by Going out With Other Couples

A study was conducted in Feb 2011

 Romantic relationships often start out as enjoyable or even exciting, but sometimes may become routine and boring. A Wayne State University study reveals that dating couples that integrate other couples into their social lives are more likely to have happy and satisfying romantic relationships. 

Richard B. Slatcher, Ph.D., assistant professor of psychology in WSU's College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and a resident of Birmingham, Mich., specializes in social and health psychology. His recent research suggests that spending quality time with other couples may be an important way to improve long-term dating relationships.
His study, "When Harry and Sally met Dick and Jane: Experimentally creating closeness between couples," which recently appeared inPersonal Relationships, investigated 60 dating couples in a controlled laboratory setting. The object was to better understand how friendships between couples are formed, and to learn how these friendships affected each couple's romantic relationship.
Each couple was paired with another couple and given a set of questions to discuss as a group. Half of the groups were given high-disclosure questions intended to spark intense discussion, while the other half were given small-talk questions that focused on everyday, unemotional activities.
"In this study, we discovered that those couples who were placed in the "fast friends" group felt closer to the couples they interacted with, and were more likely actually to meet up with them again during the following month," said Slatcher. "We also learned that these same couples felt that this friendship put a spark in their own relationships, and they felt much closer to their romantic partners."
The couples in the high-disclosure group reported greater increases in positive feelings after the intense interaction. They also felt the interaction was more novel and that they learned new things about their romantic partner compared to couples in the small-talk group. In addition, one-third of the couples in the high-disclosure group contacted the other couple they met in the study, while none of the couples in the small-talk group initiated contact with the couple they had met.
"This study suggests that if your romantic relationship has a case of the doldrums, having fun with another couple may help
By going out with other couples, our romance may be enhanced! It is apparent that the romance may burn out quickly. What do you guys think about this new find? Do you think it is necessary to "spice" up your romance? 

53 comments:

  1. Hmm. This is interesting. When I need something to spice up my love life, I'll try this. Variety is the spice of life. Cool post! Followed back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. makes sense..I think human interaction stimulates people

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes sense...human interaction stimulates people

    ReplyDelete
  4. wanna try that 8)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i never thought of this....seems a bit wierd imo

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's common knowledge that meeting other people enhances Your life. I would gladly earn some money for researching something that all already know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a good idea to me. Like a double date, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My girlfriend lives in another country now, so any kind of date would be welcomed, really.
    Interesting article, though. Followed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you need to spice up a relationship before maybe it's not a really good one ;) In a good people one should be able to satisfy the other one and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like it's onto something here.

    That might be some useful research for once =D Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wouldn't go as far as to say "spice it up" but yeah i think people need to try new things, and like the article says, i think you should be more social. I've noticed, with relationships I've been in, that when you get all settled in together and don't really go out much anymore you both get bored of each other and things start to go sour

    ReplyDelete
  12. My girlfriend would approve but I hate people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always noticed that whenever my girlfriend and I would hang out with other couples it was always a blast, and I think just seeing two other people in love gives you back some of that first falling in love feeling that makes romance so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Romance is such a damn complicated thing... As you do it, you do it wrong ;)
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting article, and blog at that! +Follower

    ReplyDelete
  16. Double dates are awesome as long as both parts of both couples get along.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with this! ") Very true.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wouldn't place too much value in this idea

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seems counter-intuitive at first, but i suppose the numbers are there. I guess it depends if your partner is crazy/dominating or not.

    ReplyDelete
  20. im sure that would work... if i had a gf to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sounds good, where do i sign up :D?
    haha!

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow this very interesting man great article

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice blog man! You should check out my gaming blog you might like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like the story of this! followed

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is not if you want but if you can xD.

    Well, maybe I can agree with it but I cannot be sure if I can stay like always doing or knowing that my partner does it.

    Complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm not convinced if I would permit another guy to touch my gf: p

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very interesting. Its like being a swinger without the reverse bedtime magic. Or is there reverse bedtime magic...

    ReplyDelete
  28. I must say this is true. both my gf and i are happier when interacting with other couples. I dont know why though, its like a grown up play date or something hahaha who knows

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so true, but it's common sense.
    Like c'mon who didn't know this?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Interesting post it kinda makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wish I knew people to double date with :P

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hmmm, interacting with other couples increase the romance? Sounds interesting, maybe I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  33. If you truly trust you partner you could even make some sexual adventures with other couples!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well, I like your idea of writing about psychology. I kind of don't like that this all boils down to something that, as some other people already pointed out, everybody already knows. It is, of course, still good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't mind going out with other couples if they're my friends. I've gotten stuck with some of my dates horrible friends before though. One girl's boyfriend brought a book to the bar to read AT A BAR, biography of Hulk Hogan, facepalm.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Interesting. It's a good way to get to know your partner all over again too, when you've been together for a while and start to take things for granted and not talk as much.

    ReplyDelete
  37. and once again, i learned something. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  38. sure, ill just go out with my girlfriend that i sincerely have and am not making up, while calling my mate to bring his girlfriend that he is seriously not making up.

    ReplyDelete
  39. if only i had a couple i would try that :c
    FOREVER ALONE

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nice info, might be useful later on.

    ReplyDelete
  41. sounds good to me, im open to new ideas

    ReplyDelete
  42. Thank you for posting something that is actually interesting. None of my friends are mature enough to have actual relationships, but one of hers does. I'll have to pursue that. Thanks.
    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've always felt monogamy just doesn't work at a biological level - we can only truly be happy by accepting that we all just want to have sex with as many people as possible and not have others get jealous about it. It's reality - some people just won't accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Now this is something that is totally done and proven! I do this alot :D /followd

    ReplyDelete
  45. As HK and Magixx above me said, is true, it does work. As I read the comments here, most people are in with this. Most experiences tell me it does work if implemented correctly.

    ReplyDelete